        When I asked if the "My America: Building A Democracy" video set
was worth purchasing, I received input from 3 people, and numerous
requests to post a hit.

Meredith Altshuler/D.J. Montague Elem./Williamsburg, VA:
        "I just got the set on preview and we are buying them.  Our
division social studies coordinator is delighted--has had all the school
social studies coordinators preview them.
        They really have done an excellent job on some essential topics.
The teacher's guides are helpful and the disks enclosed with each kit
have additional bibliographies, suggested worksheets, etc.
        Buy as many of them as you can--I just wiped out the rest of my
budget to get the set"

Marybeth Green:  "...I bought the video of the one that talks about how a
law is passed.  It's been a while since I saw it...but it was okay.  It
approaches the subject from the point of view of some children in Florida
who are trying to pass a law protecting the manatees.
        I really wish I had tapes a segment of one of those news shows
that talked about a man in New Jersey that was trying to get his "New
Jersey State Song" passed.  I thought that show did a better job of
showing kids not only the mechanics of passing a law but the subtleties
of politics involved."

Barbara Graybeal/Granite Falls Elem./Granite Falls, NC:
        "We previewed three of the titles - "Neighborhood and
Community," "Liberty and Justice," and "How Our Laws Are Made."  My
teachers were impressed with all except "Neighborhood and Community."

        Based on the information received, we decided to order five of
the videos with remaining funds.  Thanks to those who sent prompt
quickly!  We've needed something on this topic for a long time.
        If you are not familiar with the "My America: Building A
Democracy" series, they are available from New Castle Communications,
Inc.  Each video is $ 89.00 each.  If interested, you may call their toll
free no. 1-800-723-1263 to request a catalog or free preview of items.
If you have additional questions, or want to know what we think of our
the titles we have on order, feel free to e-mail me directly.

Selfjk@conrad.appstate.edu
Judy Self, Media Coordinator
Gamewell Elementary School
2904 Morganton Blvd.