We are using AlphaSmarts as check-outs from the library.  they work well
for what they do- which is allow students to "type" up about 20 pages
worth of "stuff" in 8 differente files.  they are easy to use, and can be
used with 2 double A batteries.  they have to then bring them to the
library to print out, format ( this is just a glorified keyboard, not a
computer, remember, so it doesn't spell check, underline,
change the font, etc...)  The teachers are even checking them ouit in
sets of 10 to 30 for a class.  Kids use them in the back of cars, etc...
They don't cost much (we did a large district purchase for about $100
each) and they don't do much.  But for what they do, they are well worth
the money since we are not about to purchase laptops to check out.

LM_NET Archive Home