Amen! A great saying.  It may be a character flaw of mine, but I REALLY
hate it when someone second-guesses my judgement in weeding.  "Why ever
are throwing _that_ one away?!"  I really lost it one day last year when a
teacher made such a comment to me (about a book so far outside his area of
knowledge it wasn't funny).  "Look, I was hired for this job because of my
professional training and knowledge.  If you think you can do it better,
have at it.  We need space for 235 new books in this area.  Weed away.
And we'll see how you like have your 'professional judgement' questioned
because, trust me, it will be!"   As I said, I really lost it.  However,
there was one bit of comfort.  One of my students came up to me a bit later
and said, "AW'right, Mr. W!  I've never seen you so mad.  Anyway, he's a
real (anatomical expletive deleted -- nice kid, but a bit coarse at times!)

Mark Williams
Colton High School Library
mwillia@cello.gina.calstate.edu
"I never do anything on impulse.  Warp speed is MUCH faster."

LM_NET Archive Home