From: marc@quest.arc.nasa.gov (Marc Siegel - NASA K-12 IITA Program)
Subject: LFS announcement

P A S S P O R T   T O    K N O W L E D G E

inaugurates 1995-96 as "A Year to Explore Space and Cyberspace"
__                         ______
 |                         |
 |____                    _|_

  ______
 |_____     |   |__|  /_\   |  |  |  |__  |__| |__| |__ |__| |__
       |    |   |  \ /   \  |  |__|  __|  |    |  | |__ |  \ |__
  _____|
  .                .   . .     .  .
                      .     *                                /|
   .       *                        . .  .   .  + .         / /     /
                                       .  +  . . .   ______/ /_____| |
 .  *        .   .    +          .  .    .    . . -=<__*@*_  ______|=|<|
                               .       . +.    +  .        \ \     | |
                                 .   .   . .                \ \     \
  * .  .  +   .                                              \|

a PASSPORT TO KNOWLEDGE project
electronic field trips via interactive television and online networks

REAL SCIENCE... REAL SCIENTISTS... REAL LOCATIONS... REAL TIME

"It's a miracle what the world makes... "
                              13-year old from Texas

"I've never seen a project that was so alive with the breath of what it
means to do the work of science..."
                              parent of a middle schooler from New Jersey,
                              talking about LIVE FROM ANTARCTICA

In October 1995, students in schools and science museums all across
America can travel aboard NASA's Kuiper Airborne Observatory (KAO) as
it flies at 41,000 feet to study planets, stars and galaxies with its
infrared telescope. For the first-time ever, NASA's Advanced Communications
Technology Satellite will provide live video direct from the KAO, and 2-way
audio and Internet connections to schools and science museums during
daytime and overnight missions. LIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE (LFS) is the
second in the PASSPORT TO KNOWLEDGE series of electronic field trips,
which began with LIVE FROM ANTARCTICA in 1994-95: it's an integrated
multimedia project involving:

(1) live television (over PBS and NASA-TV), and also available on
        videotape;
(2) print materials suggesting hands-on, in-class activities, and:
(3) online computer networks using the Internet

Targeted primarily at the middle school grades, LFS will also provide
interdisciplinary materials that can be easily adapted for elementary and
high school use.

LIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE will allow students all across America to
take a virtual trip aboard the Kuiper, to interact with astronomers and
the flight-crew in real-time, to better appreciate the nature of
contemporary astronomy and its incredible discoveries over the past
decades, and the promise of the decades ahead.

This announcement provides basic information about the three
components and how to join the project.

                        (1) THE VIDEO COMPONENT
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The project will begin in late September with a half-hour videotaped
introduction to infrared astronomy, the Kuiper Airborne Observatory
and demonstrations for teachers of hands-on in-class activities featured
in the Teacher's Guide. Next will come a one-hour LIVE briefing on the
upcoming Observing Flights from the KAO's hangar at NASA's Ames Research
Center in California: students  meet the astronomers, crew, and the teacher
and student team who will travel aboard the KAO during the live observing
flights.

These introductions will be followed by a 2 1/2 hour LIVE flight during
the school day, and a 5-hour night-time flight, observing planets, stars
and galaxies. Interactive video uplinks from NASA Ames, and selected
science museums and schools across the nation, connect students to
astronomers on board the KAO and to each other. Some science museums and
planetariums have already agreed to hold overnight camp-ins in
conjunction with the night flight.

In late October will come a  videotaped digest of all the previous
programming, providing an "evergreen" compilation of the astronomy
seen during these unique KAO missions, with rights to re-use the video
in class in years to come.

                        (2) PRINT  MATERIALS
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A 50-page Teacher's Guide is being developed by PASSPORT TO KNOWLEDGE
featuring hands-on activities written by Carolyn Sumners, Ph.D.,
Director of Astronomy and Physics at the Houston Museum of Natural Science,
and reviewed by the Materials Development Team of the PASSPORT TO KNOWLEDGE
project, KAO staff and observers and teacher- alumni of NASA's FOSTER
project (Flight Opportunities for Science Teacher EnRichment.)

Draft materials will be made available for 1995 summer workshops hosted by
NASA, science museums and other organizations and institutions.
(For information about receiving materials, see end of message.)

                        (3) ONLINE RESOURCES
                        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

NASA'S K-12 Internet Initiative will provide online materials accessible
via a World Wide Web page; alternate Internet access will be be provided via
Gopher and basic Email. NASA Spacelink and PBS ONLINE will provide additional
online hosts. Just as in LIVE FROM ANTARCTICA, the online materials will
include extensive archival Information, including the full text and graphics
of the printed Teacher's Guide, and current data on the KAO, astronomy and
aeronautics, as well as INTERACTIVE opportunities such as Field Journals
written by researchers on the KAO, and the ability to send Questions directly
to scientists and others seen on camera.

Additional online COLLABORATIVE opportunities will include having students
at diverse sites around the nation develop group activities and real-time
databases relating to astronomy, meteorology and aeronautics.

ONGOING ACTIVITIES THROUGHOUT THE 95-96 SCHOOL YEAR:

LIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE will introduce PASSPORT TO KNOWLEDGE's
"Year to Explore Space and Cyberspace". The Teacher's Guide and
online materials will also include information on how to follow
the Galileo spacecraft's encounter with Jupiter, beginning in December
1995, and introduce the Spring 1996 PASSPORT TO KNOWLEDGE offering:
            +      .           .   .      +
        LIVE FROM THE HUBBLE SPACE TELESCOPE . + .  . .     .      .
            .      .    .     . .   . . .        ! /
       *             .    . .  +    .  .       - O -
           .     .    .  +   . .  *  .       . / |
                . + .  .  .  .. +  .
 .      .  .  .  *   .  *  . +..  .            *
  .      .   . .   .   .   . .  +   .    .            +

         TO PRE-REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE AND RECEIVE MATERIALS:
information over the summer. To receive introductory materials and other
background information, send an e-mail message to:

                        info-lfs@quest.arc.nasa.gov

PASSPORT TO KNOWLEDGE is also committed to inviting and supporting
participation from those WITHOUT online access.

To register, receive the printed Teacher's Guide, other NASA materials
on astronomy, an original color poster, and to cover postage, please
send $10.00 to:

                      LIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE
                            P.O. Box 1502
                     Summit, New Jersey  07902-1502

or call:

                     1-800-626-LIVE (1-800-626-5483)

                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
LIVE FROM THE STRATOSPHERE is supported, in part, by the Information
Infrastructure and Technology Applications program of NASA's Office of
High Performance Computing and Communications, the NASA Education
Division, the NASA Office of Space Science, Astrophysics Division,
and public television.

It is co-produced by GEOFF HAINES-STILES PRODUCTIONS and MARYLAND PUBLIC
TELEVISION.
                           ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

COME FLY WITH US, COME FLY, COME FLY THE INFORMATION HIGHWAY, INTO THE
STRATOSPHERE... INTO ORBIT, AND INTO THE FUTURE OF SCIENCE EDUCATION!

Posted by Jan Wee

Jan Wee, Library Media Director
West Salem Middle School
450 N. Mark Street