There has beem a lot of discussion about the various
"contoversy blockers" on listservs, newsgroups, etc.  I haven't tried
any of them, so these remarks should take this into account.  The
problem with all such "blockers", it seems, is that they discriminate
in a way (e.g., by screening out images indiscriminately, or by
screening by certain keywords) that censors legitimate educational
material.  In other words, they accord to a software program judgments
that should be reserved to caring, skilled professionals.

I know that the issue is very troubling for educators having custody
over the well-being of children.  I guess my sensing is to give these
programs a trial run before putting them in the way of student or
teacher research on the Web.  If they suit the culture and needs of
any particular school, fine, install the software.  Such a determination
would need some representative input before it is adopted.  If they

appear inordinately censorious, then other means should be used to
monitor and supervise student access.

I think there is quite a lot of discussion about this in various
listserv archives, probably including LM_NET.

John LeBaron (lebaronj@woods.uml.edu)
Faculty Chair, College of Education
University of Massachusetts Lowell
One University Avenue
Lowell, Massachusetts  01854-2881 (U.S.A.)

Phone: 508/934-4621
Fax: 508/934-3005
Teachers of teachers should teach
as they expect teachers of children to teach.

LM_NET Archive Home