Hello Netters,
        I received so many requests for the HIT on patron barcodes I felt
it was easier to send it out to the whole list.  It is lengthy so the HIT
will come to you in five unequal parts!  Marcia Jacques

From: Leah M Hawkins <leahh@tenet.edu>
Although I use Follett Unison Circulation Plus on an IBM network, the
students in my K-6 school each have a patron barcode number assigned when
they enroll.  My system was started up with 600 patron barcodes.  These
labels were preprinted and each was attached to a Rolodex card.  When
students are enrolled, they are assigned a number and all the pertinent
information is entered into the computer.  Their name is written on the
corresponding card and filed into the Rolodex.  The actual barcode card
never leaves the library.  It is filed alphabetically by student name and
the Rolodex is kept for backup in case of computer down time.  Every
student, including K's, memorize their 3-digit number, and it is theirs
forever, as long as they are enrolled.  If a student forgets their #,
there is a search key that searches the patron files by name and
retrieves their account.   If a student withdraws, their account is
deleted from the computer, the Rolodex card is pulled, and that patron #
can then be recycled for new students enrolling.

Some librarians in my district prefer to use their Rolodex daily :
students checking out give their name, the librarian looks it up in the
Rolodex, then scans the barcode.  This seems like a lot of "flipping"
through cards, when all the info. is right there in the computer for
you.  I don't know that it would be reasonable to distribute actual cards
to each student and then expect them to keep up with them and have them
available every time for checkout, either.

The Follett system can also printout class lists by teacher of each
student's name and #; I usually distribute those at the beginning of each
year just to refresh the students' memories after the long summer.

From: LSMant@aol.com
I have Alexandria Pro on my PowerMac. I am able to print a sheet for each
class that just has the barcode and the child's name. I put each one into a
clear sheet protector and have them in a binder. This has worked beautifully.

From: Ruth Gilbert <rgilbert@llwmht.ll.pbs.org>
  I am using Follett for automation.  When I began I tried several
ways to have the patron cards--in 3 ring notebooks, different colors K-2,
3-4, 5-6 and kept the cards in sheets used by baseball card collectors but
that became too cumbersome to keep on the desk.  I tested a circular
rolodex but the K-3 students had difficulty with that so FINALLY this
worked:   I used a rolodex tray which holds 250 cards (not the smallest
ones) I actually need two trays.  I used the guide cards for the teachers
last names and put the students behind each teacher.  The students are in
alphabetical order by their last names and the trays are arranged
alphabetically by the teachers last names. The teacher's bar codes are on
their cards.   It did not take long for even the Kindergarteners to recognize
their teacher's name and was an excellent lesson in alphabetizing for
everyone.  Each card has the student name at the  student name at the
top and the bard code under it.  Each year I delete the outgoing 6ths
graders and use their numbers for the incoming kindergarteners.  And of
course all students must get shuffled into new classrooms.  But it doesn't
take very long to set up for the new school year.  Hope this helps.

From: Linda Ward <lward@esu3.esu3.k12.ne.us>
When we had the Winnebago system, I attached each child's barcode to a
piece of 3" X 12" oaktag and laminated only the side that the barcode was
on.  I USED to let them decorate, but most would get carried away and
turn the barcode into a design, making it useless.  The bar code was the
child's responsibility -- some of the primary teachers had a "safe place"
for them in their rooms.  I usually only had to replace 4 or 5 during the
year that became "lost".  I charged the kids 50 cents to replace it.  By
giving the kids the responsibility of their own cards, I felt that I was
helping teach a "life-long skill".  The back side of the barcode was not
laminated and was used as a record of their trips to the Media Center.
There was a stamp and stamp pad on the desk set for the current date and
the child would stamp the back of thier card for a history of use.  The
other thing that came in handy was the 3x12 size.  This immideately
became a shelfmarker.  They slip it along side the book they are
considering.  If they don't want it, they know right where it went on the
shelf.  We collected the old ones at the end of the year and usually they
were pretty well-worn, so they would get a new one in the Fall.  We
always included their grade and teacher's name on the barcode, as well as
their name. This got a little long, but it worked wonderfully for us!
We have since switched to Ameritech Scholar system and LOVE it! (Used to
be Dynix)

From: Robert Eiffert - Image <beiffert@egreen.egreen.wednet.edu
Somehow, we thought kids would have trouble keeping their cards...
So, we keep a list by class,since they come in by class most of the time,
in a 3ring binder. Kids are Alphad and BC is part of list. Scan BC scan
BookBC and they are done.
I did use a rolodex (with picture) file for a 1,200 student middle
school. Kids had card, but often forgot or lost, sot rolo was used as a
backup.

LM_NET Archive Home