We used to use Follet (on PC's before Unison) -- now use Dynix Scholar,
but in both cases use the same method for circulating magazines (and any
other stuff that you don't want to permanently bar code).

Create a PERiodical category/item type which will allow you to enter info
about title etc. when checking out the mag. Set it up so that when the
item is returned, the record will be automatically cleared and you can
reuse the barcode.

Barcode? What barcode? Ah -- paste some bar codes on book pockets (you
know, the kind you used to have for the card the borrower signed, in the
old days!!) Wand that barcode at checkout -- since it isn't in your
database, your program will ask you to enter the information "on the fly"
(Follett used to have a reserved set of bc#s for "temporary" items --
don't know if it's still that way). Scholar allows you to do what they
call a "quick add" and if you tell it the type is PER it sets the due
date for 24 hr. and automatically erases the bc info on checkin. We also
use the same system for old grotty paperbacks, but call the type TBK
(temporary book) so that the loan period is 2 wk. instead on 1 day, but
is also erased on check-in.

For mags, we insert the request slip into the pocket; for pb's we use an
old book card with the title -- not necessary for the computer, but makes
it easier to find the proper pocket to wand the bc at check-in.
***
I don't keep track of in-house magazine circulation and I don't allow
magazines to leave the library except for faculty check-out.
***
I barcode all my mags for checkout and then at the end of the year I
delete whatever I don't want to keep.   I use tyvek envelopes with barcodes
for the
magazines to help with backpack damage.  I use a main record and just add copy
 info for the rest of the envelopes.
***
We created a record for each magazine title, affixed old barcodes to old
circulation cards, and therefore had a number of copies of each title.
When a student checks out a mag., he fills out a slip with the date,
title, student name and #. We wand the carcoded card and file it with the
slip. All of the mag. cards have a 5 day checkout period. It does mean
keeping cards for those items, but does give circ figures. Cards are
reuseable.
***
I'm in a K-6 school, using Alexandria.  I make barcodes for the magazines,
one year at a time, keep them in a folder.  When
the magazine is received, it gets its bar code.  I keep back issues of
magazines for circulation (all bar coded.)
***
our circulation system allows us to choose at the time we enter a
new subscription whether or not we want to inventory each issue.  In other
words, I have a record in Alexandria (our system) that I take Sports
Illustrated for Kids, when the subscription started and will end, etc., but
I don't inventory on receipt.  I just tell the system that I've gotten an
issue.  Then I put a temporary barcode on the magazine and check it out
with that.  On the other hand, I do inventory National Geographic on
receipt so that it's searchable, etc.  Does that help?

Regarding our checkout policy, we let the kids check out a magazine for one
night only.  Teachers of course can keep them longer.

LM_NET Archive Home