Hello LM_NETTERs,

        Some of you requested I post a HIT on this topic, and so here it is.
To get Netscape 2.0 Beta 3, point your browser to:

        http://home.netscape.com/comprod/mirror/index.html

        The instructions are very easy to follow to download this program.
Most of you liked this version very much.  I, on the other hand, had some
trouble setting up this version.  Error messages such as "Could not write
file C:\Windows\system\~OLE 3673.TMP" and other similar messages hampered my
installation.  I downloaded this program twice and still another set up
error: "Could not write file C:\Windows\system\~TYP1355.tmp."  I finally
gave up and stuck with my Netscape V. 1.22.  Maybe someone could help me in
trying to make some sense out of the errors?

        Below are the responses I received minus the respondents' names:

>David, I have been using the Netscape version you inquire about for 55 days
>now with no bugs to report.   My trial will run out next week and I will
>download a new one.  Netscape announced that 2.0 will go on sale January 1,
>1996, but will be free to educators.  Check out their web site:
>www.info.com for more information.  They told me they will soon announce
>pricing and order information there.

>Dear David,
>       If your using the Mac platform I would highly recommend
>downloading Netscape 2.0b3. It more stable w/Mac.

>I'm using the new version, and haven't had any problems with it. I am
>also using "netscape defrost" which I downloaded about a month ago.
>I read about it in "Tidbits", Adam Engst's ezine. Defrost seemed to
>fix all bugs in Netscape.
>Gail

>I've used it both at home (on an LCII) and at school(on a 5200) for about
>10days now and it works fine. It seems to load faster, will draw from your
>cache if the site is busy....although I still use Eudora, the mail system
>looks good.
>
>No complaints.....
>on MAC only and purchased at my local university bookstore. It only cost $5.
>Hope this helps.

>Yes, go ahead and download it.  I use it regularly and it works
>beautifully, albeit there are still a few minor bugs to be worked out.
>Most of the problems, though, seem to have been resolved.

>Dear David,
>I asked my brother in law about why people were having trouble with the
>Betas.  He said to be sure to throw away your old Netscape preferences
>file before loading the new version.  I threw away the prefs, loaded the
>new version, checked it and then threw away the old version.  It has been
>working with no major problems.  The bookmark management on the 2.0b2 and
>2.0b3 is greatly improved!

>I'm using the new version, and haven't had any problems with it. I am
>also using "netscape defrost" which I downloaded about a month ago.
>I read about it in "Tidbits", Adam Engst's e-zine. Defrost seemed to
>fix all bugs in Netscape.

>One real simple reason, at least for me, is that my current beta expires
>next Friday.
>Other than the long download time I've had no immediate problems with two
>days worth of 2.0.b3

>I would strongly encourage you not to download the beta.  Invariably there
>are time limits on the use of Netscape beta versions, causing later grief.
>Patience is always a virtue in these matters.

        This marks the end of this HIT.

                        David Levin, Media Center Director
                             Rich Central High School
                             Olympia Fields, Illinois
                                  d-levin@bgu.edu

              "Knowledge is of two kinds: we know a subject ourselves,
       or we know where we can find information upon it."    ~~Samuel Johnson

LM_NET Archive Home