It will be interesting to see what you receive in response to your
question.
We do not have R.L. Stine books in the high school library (or
Stephen King...).  These are available at the public library, so I refer
students there.  The public library is only 1/2 mile from the school, so
it may be more accessible to our students than those living in larger
towns/cities.  Nevertheless, I think it is important for students to
understand that libraries select materials based on specific objectives.
Our public library has recreational reading as its primary goal,
while the school libraries have selection policies that emphasize
supporting the curriculum.

The high school includes grades 9-12.  Many of the 9th graders ask for Stine
books because they were available last year at the Middle School (which
purchased them from fine money collected, not from their budget).  At the
high school level, our teachers feel that it is important that students
explore traditional literature and quality novels, so they emphasize this
for their outside reading assignments too. They distribute suggestion
lists of titles to their classes.

Our town also has a college library which high school students use for
much of their periodical research.  Students sometimes borrow from their
best seller collection, but they also see how this collection differs from
the other two types of libraries.  I realize I've probably gotten rather
wordy.  Every situation is going to be different;
in our case, we work to give students the widest selection of resources
by supporting specific objectives and working cooperatively.
 *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *  *
sburyane@zaphod.wayne.esu1.k12.ne.us
Sue Buryanek, Library/Media Director
Wayne High School  611 W. 7th Street
Wayne, NE  68787       402-375-3150

On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, Shannon Acedo wrote:

> There's a lot of traffic here regarding R.L. Stine--so I'd love to
> hear: who has him in their collection, and who does not?  We just
> never bought any, and recently have had a slew of requests.  It's always
> easy to say..."Stine is readily available at any bookstore"...--the
> same is true for pretty much most of our collection, so that's a bit
> duplicitous.  Our school goes from grade 7 to 12.
>
> Thanks!
> Shannon Acedo, Librarian (acedos@marlborough.la.ca.us)
> Marlborough School
> Los Angeles CA