My apologies if you received this twice, but it appears to me to have been
bounced back.

OK I'll tell you up front:   yes, this hit one of my hot buttons.  But here
goes, with apologies in advance if I offend anyone.  I do not intend to
offend, but to present a different point of view.

Alice Newman writes:

>>... and yet abandon our
>religious freedoms. In fact, we fight to limit religious freedoms-we
>censor these all the time. How many postings have I read this month
>requesting "non-religious Christmas stories"?  Talk about a contradiction
>in terms! How many communities won't permit nativity scenes? As if a
>nativity scene threatens our religious or intellectual freedom!

I believe that religious freedom refers to the freedom to hold your own
beliefs which are not those of the majority.   I do not believe it refers
to members of the majority religion being allowed to cram theirs down
others' throats.  I am not a Christian, yet I must endure as my school
celebrates this Christian holiday with a tree, the choir gives a "Winter
Concert" which consists of nothing but Christmas music, etc.,  ad nauseum.
We don't celebrate Ramadan, Hannukah, Passover, or any other minority
religious holidays.  We may acknowledge that they exist, but never do we
celebrate as we do Christmas.  Our school population includes students and
staff who are Jewish, Buddist, Muslim, Taoist, Zorastrian, Wiccans, and
atheists.  It is their right (and mine) to be affirmed in my religion, or
lack of one, and not be harrassed or put down.  Having a Christmas tree, a
nativity scene, and/or performing Christmas music exclusively constitutes
an institutional endorsement of one religion.  The total absence of any
other religious celebrations is a silent condemnation of all other
religions.

As I see it, our "forefathers" were seeking respite from the demands of a
majority religion which they did not share.  They wanted to ensure that the
people of this country were free to practice our diverse religions without
interference from the government.  A public school is a part of the
government and therefore should refrain from endorsing one religion.
Growing up out of the majority is tough enough without making school an
emotionally unsafe place for students.

So yes, a nativity scene at school or city hall threatens my religious
freedom and those of my non-Christian colleagues, students, and neighbors.
Christians should be sensitive to others, just as caucasians need to be
sensitive to non-caucasian people.  Why must I spend every December feeling
left out?  Why must I take personal discretionary days or days without pay
for my religious holidays when Christians get two weeks off for theirs?
(Fortunately, my current district does not make me do this, but previous
employers have.)  Why must I be made to feel as if I am limiting someone
else's religious freedom by requesting that we be inclusive of other
religions throughout the year and reducing the inordinate amount of
celebrating we do for Christmas?

Again, this is my "two cents" and not meant to offend, but to give voice to
a minority viewpoint.

Julie Anderson, Librarian                (206) 813-7301
Kentwood High School                    janderso@kent.wednet.edu
25800 164th Ave SE
Kent, WA  98042                                   Life, liberty, and the
pursuit of happiness are not "Special Rights."

LM_NET Archive Home