On Tue, 12 Dec 1995, SARAH GIDDINGS wrote:

> I have just finished withdrawing him.  Our school is grades 5-12 and we
> have lots of really good books for our students to read.  I don't permit
> our fifth and sixth graders to read Stephen King either.

It really bothers me to know that some of us don't permit some of our
students to read all our books.  I realize you have a wide range of ages.  I
first worked in a school grades 7-12.  It does create a need for being
sensitive to our younger students.  If I think a student is checking out
something geared for a mature reader, I simply let the student know that
the book is for mature readers.  There might be some language or subject
matter that might be offensive.  I have had students change their minds
and not check out that book and I have had others say they will bring the
book back if they find it offensive.  I have never had a problem.

My school is grades 6-8.  The only Stephen King book I have had is Eye of
the Dragon.  I see kids reading all sorts of stuff that I feel would be
inappropriate for our collection, including Stine's new novel for adults,
King and Waiting to Exhale.

Some 6th graders are ready to read adult books.  They will only understand
that which their experience allows.

My opinion, of course.

Audrey Glick
Monroe Traditional Middle School