Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 20:52:31 EST
From: Tim McLain <tmc@classroom.net>
To: Multiple recipients of list EDTECH <EDTECH@msu.edu>
Subject: How to harvest the Web at school so you have it when you need it.

Hello all..

Last night as I was packing up to go home (and prepare for a little
"company" Christmas party!) and my phone rang... It was Sally Ladd, a
teacher fighting to get the Internet into every school in Maryland.

Without missing a beat, she offered up a story idea for Classroom
Connect... Seems she's been having problems as of late in getting to the
Web sites she loves most, and wants to use in class.

It seems that earlier this week she needed to access a particular site at a
very specific time when her class was all assembled. But when she clicked
on the link to it, the server said it was too busy to let her in. So, why
doesn't Classroom Connect do a story on how to get around this problem?

No problem -- we will in an upcoming issue. BUT, I wanted to "leak" a
little tip to all the members of this mailing list about the central answer
to this problem: It's a little piece of software (for both Mac and
Windows!) called WebWhacker.

WebWhacker is a new software tool that lets you "whack" or harvest as
little or as much of a Web site as you want right to your hard drive, at
any time. You simply give it the URL address of where you want to start
bringing down pages, how many levels (or clicks) deep you want it to go,
and it does the rest. It contacts the site, brings down each page in turn
(graphics, sounds, video clips, and all!) into a folder on your hard drive.
When it's done, it re-links the pages together so the site on the hard
drive looks, feels, (tastes?) exactly the same as if you were surfing the
site live on the Internet!

Anyway -- I wanted all of you to get a sneak peek at this information, and
act on it! Neither I nor Classroom Connect has any ties to the company
making this software. As usual, we just want to bring this solution to you
for you to consider and act on if you wish.

To contact the makers of WebWhacker, load your Web browser and access:

Here you can get a free, almost completely functional copy of the
software... The full version costs $49.

Enjoy!

:-)

    Timothy McLain                     Classroom Connect
    tmc@classroom.net               (717) 393-1000

LM_NET Archive Home