I do something similar with this story.  I thought about the tail but, of
course as with all my ideas, it was last minute and it couldn't be done.
So I cut some "scales" out of felt in yellow, green, and purple.  I kept
"itching" during the story and at the end, I told the students I couldn't
stand it any longer, stood up and "scratched" off some scales out from
under the edge of my sweater or shirt.  I turn and look at the students
(their eyes are huge at this point) and say "This is our secret."  I
still have boys and girls coming up to me to whisper to me that they have
kept the secret or that they just told Mom or Dad but they won't tell
anyone else.
Teresa Caddell
tcaddell@tenet.edu