Thanks to those of you who responded to my question about good novels for Jr.
High. Here is the information I received regarding Jr. High novels that could
be used in a class setting.  These have been used in the classroom with some
success according to those who responded.

Scorpions by Walter Dean Myers
Wolf by the Ears, Rinaldi
Waiting for the Rain--Gordon
Nightjohn--Paulsen
Shabanu--Staples
The Outsiders--Hinton
The Giver--Lowry ( 3)
Hatchet--Paulsen (3)
Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl ("not a novel of course, but it has
tremendous impact on our students")
The Cat Ate my Gymsuit--Danziger
The Undertaker's Gone Bananas--Zindel
Roll of Thunder, Hear my Cry--Taylor
The Cay--Taylor (2)
Bobby Baseball--Smith
The High King--Alexander
The Sign of the Beaver--Speare
Witch of Blackbird Pond--Speare
Night of the Twisters--Ruckman
Wrinkle in time--L'ENgle
There's a boy in the girls bathroom--Sachar
A day no pigs would die--Peck
The Phantom tollbooth--Juster
Catherine, called Birdy
The Hobbit
Something upstairs
The Pigman
Eva--Dickinson
Loch--Zindel
Walk two Moons--Creech
Endless Steppe
Chronicles of Narnia--Lewis
Huckleberry Finn
Death be not proud
To kill a mockingbird
Earthshine            ( AIDS)
When heroes die   (AIDS)

One contributor also suggested using three titles as a theme grouping, for
example:
The Giver/Invitation to the Game/Alas Babylon
Miriam's well/Nothing but the truth/Memiors of a bookbat

Nonfiction:  398s
The rough faced girl
Yeh-Shen
The Egyptian Cinderella