Roselle,
  Part of the federal law code (am at home so can't give exact citation)
does say you have no obligation to pay for unsolicited items received
through the US Post Office mail. Since the original post said it came via
UPS I'm not sure if the law applies to that or not.
  We do have a policy (written with the assistance of the district
business manager) that says we will not return unsolicited items received
through the mail. It's been in force about 4 years and came about as a
result of our receiving just this kind of thing. I've only had to use it
once and the company did try to force payment by threatening with their
legal department. I ignored their threat and haven't heard from them again.
        Melissa Davis                   Librarian
        Splendora Middle School         Splendora I.S.D.
        P O Box 168                     Splendora, TX 77372
        Internet: mbdavis@tenet.edu     PHONE: (713)689-2853
        CompuServe: 75146,771

On Thu, 2 Feb 1995, Roselle_Weiner wrote:

> is the thomson action illegal in fact?  I thought that if someone sends
> you something you did not order, you have no obligation to pay for it or
> to send it back.  you may legally keep it for free.
>
> what does everyone else say?
>
> all best,
>
> Roselle
>

> American School for the Deaf
> r_weiner@sacam.oren.ortn.edu
>
> On Thu, 2 Feb 1995, Rosalind P Eyre wrote:
>
> > Math teachers in the Beaumont Independent School District are searching
> > for information on famous black mathematicians.  We have found much
> > information on inventors, musicians, etc., etc., but very little on
> > mathematicians.  Any suggestions on names or sources would be appreciated.
> >
> > Also, several schools in our district have received unauthorized
> > shipments of books from Thomson Learning.  They are told that return
> > postage is prepaid and all they have to do is call UPS to have the
> > materials picked up and returned if they decide not to purchase them, but
> > it is annoying (not to mention illegal) for Thomson to do this sort of
> > thing.  Are we the only ones having this problem?

LM_NET Archive Home