I run a K-8 library, where the potential of problems with younger
students having access to young adult materials is similar, or even
greater. I am strongly opposed to designating materials by grade level, a
stand that was reinforced when a 3rd grader read and loved The Hobbit. We
have a clear selection and reconsideration policy in place. All students
have access to all materials. If a younger student checks out something
that might not be considered appropriate, I make sure he or she realizes
any relevant aspects of the item (that it doesn't have pictures, that it
is about older kids, etc.), and that it can be returned and exchanged for
something else if it isn't interesting. The boredom factor is a great
selection aid.

Sister Penny Cunningham  pscunnin@mailbox.syr.edu
St. Mary-Basha Catholic School
Chandler, Arizona