Well, maybe... I'm sitting with a book on my lap, FIFTY SONGS-FIFTY
STATES, compiled, arranged and edited by John W. Schaum of Schaum
Publications, Milwaukee, 1982.  According to the chart on the Contents
page, four states have no officially designated song and permission could
not be obtained to include the official song of California.  I think this
effort - a great book - qualifies as one, if not the first, collection,
complete as could be, of state songs.

Pat Bartoshesky                  Saint Edmond's Academy
<pbarto@brahms.udel.edu>         2120 Veale Rd.  Wilmington DE 19810-4199
 302-475-5370                    FAX: 302-475-2256

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, David Loertscher wrote:

> Libraries Unlimited will be publishing a collection of all the state
> songs in the Fall of 1995.  They have never been published before in a
> collection and its been a fascinating experience.  Some states'
> lyrics are quite embarrasing and certainly not politically correct.  We
> hope the publication will spur some states to makes some changes.
>
> Dave Loertscher

LM_NET Archive Home