I recently received unsolicited books.  I contacted the Texas State Law
Library (referred by the Attorney General's office).  No, you don't have
to return the materials and you don't have to pay for them.  This was not
a state regulation.  It is a federal statute, and is part of the commerce
code.  I can't give you the citation because I am at home today.  In
fact, I don't remember where I filed it at work, but I'll look when I get
back.  You can be required to return the materials if there was an honest
mistake in sending them, but the sender has to prove the mistake and take
care of having the materials returned.

Diane Durbin
dianed@tenet.edu

On Wed, 8 Feb 1995, ferret wrote:

> I was advised that in Washington State, if you are sent unrequested
> material, you do not have to return or pay for it.  However, my school
> secretary says "It ain't so" when it comes to schools.  I'm not a lawyer,
> just a lowly librarian.  I'd be interested in other responses.
>
> Barbara Gardner
> Federal Way School District
> Lake Grove Elementary
> bgardner@esd112.wednet.edu
>

> On Thu, 2 Feb 1995, Roselle_Weiner wrote:
>
> > is the thomson action illegal in fact?  I thought that if someone sends
> > you something you did not order, you have no obligation to pay for it or
> > to send it back.  you may legally keep it for free.
> >
> > what does everyone else say?
> >
> > all best,
> >
> > Roselle
> >

> > American School for the Deaf
> > r_weiner@sacam.oren.ortn.edu
> >
> > On Thu, 2 Feb 1995, Rosalind P Eyre wrote:
> >
> > > Math teachers in the Beaumont Independent School District are searching
> > > for information on famous black mathematicians.  We have found much
> > > information on inventors, musicians, etc., etc., but very little on
> > > mathematicians.  Any suggestions on names or sources would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > Also, several schools in our district have received unauthorized
> > > shipments of books from Thomson Learning.  They are told that return
> > > postage is prepaid and all they have to do is call UPS to have the
> > > materials picked up and returned if they decide not to purchase them, but
> > > it is annoying (not to mention illegal) for Thomson to do this sort of
> > > thing.  Are we the only ones having this problem?

LM_NET Archive Home