Concerning unsolicited books, our media center mails the sender a
copy of a form letter that we have prepared, checking off A or B
(see below) as our choice for proceeding:

Dear _________________,

As you no doubt are aware, under current United States Postal Re-
gulations any unsolicited items received via the mail may be con-
sidered a gift (read donation) and can legally be kept without pay-
ment to the vendor.

A.  As such we thank you for your donation to our school library/
media center. Please be assured that future unsolicited mailings
will likewise be treated as donations and will be kept without
payment.

B.  Your materials do NOT meet our needs (or do not conform to
the requirements of our selection policy).  Therefore, we re-
quest that you arrange, and pay for, carrier pick-up via UPS,
Federal Express, etc. as we will not incur mailing expenses for
unsolicited materials.

Materials not picked up by March 1st will be discarded or given to
the public library for their book sales.

Very truly yours,

We don't seem to have much trouble with unsolicited mailings.  I
hope this with help others.

--
Karen Naftzger  (gk751@cleveland.freenet.edu)
Rocky River High School