Dear colleagues of LM_NET,

        A while ago, I asked about Etiquette regarding sharing letters,
quotes or information taken from the Net.  I felt that since the Net is
public domain, it can be shared as long as there is a credit given to the
originator.  While reading Canadian Living (Dec I think) there was a short
bit about privacy of mail, or lack thereof, in companies.  One interesting
statement, which of course is true here just like it is about books,
magazines and newspapers is that once something is published, in book or
Net, there is nothing stopping the "borrower" from changing the contents,
removing words or parts thus creating a whole "new quote".

        I feel that if it is on the Net, it is public domain.  If a person
wants to use something they wrote in a publication or an article to BE
published, it is still public domain.  However when a person quotes from
something they already wrote, they may wish to state that fact and/or write
a disclaimer.  But then, why would this be out of bounds?  Quoting from the
Net in that case would not be any different than quoting from the
publication itself, wouldn't it?

        I think the bottom line is to quote in an honourable manner,
respecting the intent of the original publication and of course always
giving credit where credit is due.  The following are comments I received
on this topic.

        My apologies to Betty Dawn Hamilton whose letter I deleted
accidentaly.  As I recall, she felt as I do about the public domain.  She
stated that she likes to ask as a courtesy about quoting a person,
specially if the quote will go in a publication. Betty Dawn Hamilton
<bhamilt@TENET.EDU>

Michelle Larose-Kuzenko         Teacher-librarian/
Sun Valley Elementary               Technology coordinator
125 Sun Valley Drive            Enseignante-bibliothecaire /
Winnipeg, Manitoba                  Coordinatrice de telematique
R2G 2W4

River East School Division #9           "School Libraries
Phone: (204) 663-7664                      are playgrounds
E-mail:  mlarose@minet.gov.mb.ca              for curiosity"

   You have unearthed the copyright question of the decade Michelle! It
is indeed a wormy subject, one that is slippery and hard to get a hold
exactly how to define it. The subject of usage rights for Internet
messages (postings as well as personal e-mail), documents in databases,
etc... is an issue that will require some serious thought by policymakers
(whoever that might be!).

   For example: If a posting on LM_NET is public domain as you think,
then surely there would be no problem with quoting it or passing it on.
But what if the person reusing it inserts it into a commercial article
and receives payment for the article? Now is the original poster being
treated fairly by not knowing how it was used in another article or not
receiving any acknowledgment or compensation by the new author?

  There are many other scenarios besides the one listed above that affect
electronic media. The Internet community will be forced to look at new
ways to deal with those issues in the near future as problems become more
prevalent. The reputation of the Internet as an out of control chaotic
mishmash of media will have to change as more people become involved in
its operations. More Internet regulation is needed and will evolve as
problems receive more attention in the mainstream.

Russell Smith
rssmith@tenet.edu
Educational Technology Consultant
Region 14 ESC  Abilene, Texas
######################

Along that same line, I've wondered about the proper way to do a hit.  Do
you identify the people so as to credit their contributions or did they
respond to you personally and thus privately, so it may be better to remove
the names?  Any thoughts on this?  If this comes up in your responses,
please address this too in your hit.  Thanks.

Bev Bauer
Emmet Williams Media Center
Roseville Schools
955 West County Rd D
Shoreview, MN 55126
0623ewel@informns.k12.mn.us
#########################

Michelle,
  When forwarding email, I try to be true to the "spirit" of the postings.
Recently, I saw a request on LM-NET for books on teen-age homosexuality.
If I knew someone able to provide this type of information without being
upset by the issue, I would not seek permission to pass on the message.  I
would not, however, take the liberty of forwarding that message to an
ultra conservative religious or political discussion group although the
message was posted to the public.  This is an extreme example, but there
are so many grey areas...
  I will not forward a letter sent to my personal address without
first seeking the permission of the "author".  The exception (isn't there
always an exception) :)  would be when I have asked for responses to a
TARGET> on LM-NET and assume the people who reply know I will post their
  As far as the messages I send, I expect that others will forward them
without asking me.  With that in mind, I only say things I wouldn't mind
seeing on the front page of the New York Times. I sometimes respond with
the disclaimer saying I am speaking for myself, rather than representing
the organization for which I work.  I once has a request for information I
posted to LM-NET conveyed to my boss.  (Good thing I check this sort of
thing with her first...)
  I believe the law would treat these messages as they do celular phone
transmissions (non-restricted, the "sender" has no expectation of
privacy), as long as the message does not contain copyrighted information.
However, I try to be considerate of the intent of the sender. It doesn't
take much time. I look at it as a courtesy to my colleagues.
 Vanessa Toyokura  (toyokura@csn.org)
 LibraryData & Automation Services
 Jefferson County Public Schools
 Golden, Colorado (USA)