Can anyone help answer the following question (posed by my father)?

* EHB: need help. have written column for Jurid Diction called "ini, Mini"
* and having to do with those who add "ini" to their names (like Houdini who
* namee himself after Robert-Houdin). What is the proper designation for the
* "ini"?
* I am certain it is not a diminutive. Bairdini says it is an Italianate
* enhancement. I need to refer to it in the introcuction to the column.Help.
* RLB

Surely someone out there is Italian, or knows about pretending to be!
Thanks in advance,

Elizabeth Bluemle
(sharing Josie L's account)
josie@blackbox.cc.columbia.edu