I imagine that this will open a can of worms, but I think it needs
discussing.  More and more I see middle school books being actively
marketed by bookclubs, librarians and teachers to elementary grade
children. Two recent examples would be Hatchet and The Giver.  Both are
being assigned to fourth and fifth grade classes routinely.  Sure they can
be read by those children--but to what end.  If books like these are
taught in elementary classes it leaves a big hole for middle school
teachers.  They either have to pick less interesting material in hopes
the kids won't have already studied it, or else reach up for high school
material.  We all lament that children today are being pushed too fast
into adult roles etc., but are we contributing to this?  I know we can't
solve this problem--it is like the teacher who uses video for filler--it
will always be with us.  But I do think we owe the kids in middle school
a few thoughts before we "give away" their best titles to the
elementaries.  I am a K-12 librarian myself, so am viewing this from a
wide perspective.  Vicki Sherouse  Dallas  sherouse@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home