Friends,

Years ago I spoke on the topic "Open Shelves -- Open Minds" for the ACLU
(Censorship from a school library perspective). That night's talk was to be
held at our state's Office of Public Instruction.
  Since it was this time of year, I thought I would include something
about the infamous Swimsuit Issue and wanted a few examples. _NO_ school
library between my house (50 miles away) and the state office had a single
copy of this issue in their collection. Virtually all had been stolen. (I
checked
something like 15 high schools!) Next, I decided to try branches of our
regional library system. I tried 5 branches and guess what? _NO_ copies
were there, either!

Larry Parsons
Ocean Beach School District
Long Beach, WA