On Tue, 14 Feb 1995, Floyd Pentlin wrote:

> Group -- I have a #$#$@#@ student who is bypassing At Ease on the
> Macintosh and is causing mischief.  How is he (I'll bet it is a he
> instead of a she!) doing this?  The student seems to have given At Ease a
> new password when we already had one assigned.

Group,

I don't have an answer for Floyd (can't even solve my *own* bypass
problems), but ya'll might be interested in a book that I just began
reading, _The Hacker Crackdown:  Law and Disorder on the Electronic
Frontier_ by Bruce Sterling (Bantam Books, 1992, $23.00).  So far it's very
readable and enlightening.  As a matter of fact, my resident hacker
checked it out first and wanted to *keep* it!  I told him that *I* want
to read it since I must deal with these problems (so I haven't
renewed it for him.)

He photocopied pages 85/86, a personal testimony from a hacker that ends
with "Yes, I am a criminal.  My crime is that of curiosity.  My crime is
that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look
like.  My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never
forgive me for."  GRRRRRRR

The arrogance of that young man (ours)!!! He truly believes this; brags
about crashing the system -- never mind that the system has been wrecked
for 3 weeks for 650 students during peak research paper time and that
teachers have had to spend hours beyond school time to adjust assignments
to be fair to students who were caught in the mess -- not to mention the
hours that *I* have spent after school with tech support trying to resolve
the problem!

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523
                                  \     {
                                    \  }
                                      ~

LM_NET Archive Home