are routinely being taught in elementary school, I am reminded yet again
that there NEEDS to be communication among schools on a District-wide level,
so that there can be continuity and cohesion, rather than repetition and
resentment.  Both Hatchet and the Giver can easily be read by fourth- and
fifth-grade students.  Surely there are more than two books taught in
that District!  Of course, one possible solution is to find some companion
books and to teach from a basis of compare/comtrast/analyze, etc.
        I also find myself reluctant to classify books as upper elementary
vs. middle school, especially when the term "middle school" often applies to
fifth- (and sometimes, fourth-) graders.  Again, it depends more upon how
a District divides its students than a hard-and-fast cutoff level.  Like so
many other policies and procedures, school designations are done in a variety
ways throughout the country.
        What this boils down to (IMHO) is that there is never a good
substitute for communication on either the building or the Disctict level.
If the left hand knows what the right hand is doing, it can be of more help.
Teresa Holten           Lyle Public School
Media Generalist        Lyle, MN 55953
teresah@selco.lib.mn.us

LM_NET Archive Home