Laurie,

  I have a similar activity to help kids find books.  I start in first
grade with the concept of the Dewey Decimal System and how it uses
numbers to keep subjects together.  Then I give each child a cardboard
"stick"  with a number on it.  I make sure that all the numbers are on
the low-to-middle- shelves so that the child can easily see them.  Then I
allow about 5 children at a time to place their stick where the number is
found on the shelves.  Meanwhile the rest of the class is looking at
magazines.  THe first time is fairly slow.  But today, I gave them  a
second turn and it went alot faster.  22 students took about 15 minutes.
This seems to work well.

Margaret
mbedle@strauss.udel.edu

LM_NET Archive Home