In reading a recent message about kids who can't find books on the shelf, I
was inspired to tell you of something that has really worked for us.  I
start in the end of first grade with this and do it with 2nd and 3re
graders.  I have made several sets of shapes (baseballs, hearts, turkey
drumsticks, raindrops, etc. with a call number on each. (this is only for
the easy book section so the call number would be like E/STE)  The children
each get one and have to find a book on the shelf with that call number.
We talk a lot about "the first three letters of the authors last name"  and
then when they show us the book, we guess what the call number they had on
their shape is.  I make new shapes for seasons and holidays and laminate
them.  The kids love this and later when they are looking for a book I just
tell them the call number and they can find it on the shelf. There is an
easy transfer to Fiction books when they're ready.
I realize the grammar is awful.  I had 253 messages this morning and am
trying to hurry.  I hope you can get it anyway.
One other thing.  We go around the group and each child tells what his/her
call number would be if he/she wrote a book.  Let me know if this works for
you.

Laurie Carter- Library Media Teacher
Woodside Elementary School
3195 Woodside Rd.
Woodside, CA 94062
lcarter@woodside.K12.ca.us
"Minds are like parachutes.  They only function when open."

LM_NET Archive Home