The short (and perhaps oversimplified) answer to the difference is that
LC allows for much more detail in cataloging. Dewey is great for public
and school libraries as it describes a collection in "broader brush
strokes" than does LC.

Wade H. Weiler    "Visualize Whirled Peas..." =:-)
Irving, TX   Internet: wadew@tenet.edu

On Mon, 13 Feb 1995, Mark Williams wrote:

> >From little questions do great muddles grow.  Last week a student asked
> me what the "real" difference was between Dewey and LC classification.
> As I tried to answer, I realized that I had no quick answer.  When I
> tried to write it down so I could edit it, it kept coming out in
> paragraphs.  Does anyone out there have a brief, clear statement that
> sums up the differences?  What I'm looking for is something along the
> lines of "The _W_ system assigns numbers on the basis if _X_, and the _Y_
> system assigns on the basis of _Z_."
>
> Thanks in advance!  (P.S. the student was more than a little miffed that
> the local college used LC.  "Why would you people have two _completely
> different_ systems?" !)
>
> Mark Williams
> Colton High School Library
> "The most valuable resource in a library goes home at night."

LM_NET Archive Home