Our high school has networked computers and non-networked
computers throughout the building in labs, offices, and
classrooms.  And we have had to deal with security issues on
a daily basis.  No matter how thoroughly we implement hardware,
software, and procedural security measures, determined students
find ways to thwart the proper operation of our computers.
This involves such creative things as rearranging keys to spell
obscenities, removing mouse balls, guessing passwords, deleting
operating system files, printing complete databases, adding
pornographic screen savers, and sending bomb threats over the
network. Some students will always find breaking a computer
more rewarding than mastering a computer.  Of course the bottom
line for security will always be the human factor, so our next
tact is to design a written plan for student use spelling out
responsibilities and consequences.  I am sure that we are not
alone in this challenge.

I am curious to hear about other subversive computer tricks to
be prepared for, but I am also interested in collecting samples
of applicable Federal laws, State codes, School Board policies,
Student Handbook statements, Student contracts, Computer Lab
rules, and even warnings posted on individual computers. We are
determined to not let the actions of a few students ruin it for
1800 other students.

Particular legal questions that we would like answered include:

Is destruction or temporary disruption of the proper operation
of school computers considered VANDALISM ?

Is unauthorized access to computer operating systems or
programs considered BREAKING AND ENTERING ?

LM_NET Archive Home