I moved the old card catalog to the back room about four
years ago, and the kids accepted that pretty well.  I would
react to a puzzled look by offering help, and most kids were
able to find things faster and more efficiently right away.
The faculty, however, was a tougher nut to crack.

To do something dramatic to get their attention, I asked for
time at the start of a faculty meeting (always held in the
library anyway).  I got a big garbage can and put it in the
middle of the floor and dumped all the drawers into it (with
something of a lump in my throat I should add).  Filled it
right up.  I didn't say a word until everyone was seated and
quiet (which took some time!).  Then I stood up and put a
match to one card.  I held it aloft and said. "The card
catalog is dead. If you haven't learned to use the computer
catalog yet you will be unable to use the library.  I'm
ready to show you at any time, but the ball in now in your
court."  I dropped the burning card into the can and sat
down.

I wish I could say that I was kept busy teaching the teachers.
Nope.  But at least nobody asks me where the catalog is.

John Henne
Gorham Middle/High
Gorham NH

LM_NET Archive Home