From:   IN%"BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu"  "W. Curtiss Priest" 16-FEB-1995 13:26:17.63
To:     IN%"CMercier@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU"  "Cathie", IN%"patw1@muskox.alaska.edu"
   "P
 at"
CC:
Subj:   Forward to LM-NET

Date: Thu, 16 Feb 1995 13:22:19 -0500 (EST)
From: "W. Curtiss Priest" <BMSLIB@mitvma.mit.edu>
Subject: Forward to LM-NET
To: Cathie <CMercier@VMSVAX.SIMMONS.EDU>, Pat <patw1@muskox.alaska.edu>

>I guess I just don't understand, when has COPYRIGHTED
>material ever been freely available on the internet unless
>the copyright owners put it there???  You may be able to
>ACCESS it over the internet, but you usually need a password
>(which you get when you pay for it or subscribe.)

>Pat Wamsley (patw1@muskox.alaska.edu)  |{ancient Chinese blessing/curse}
>    Wasilla, AK 99654 (907) 376-8854   |         in interesting times!"

Pat -- realize that the 1976 copyright law makes anything and
everything copyrighted at the moment of fixation.  That means
this piece of email and everything else on the net (except items
whose copyright have expired) IS COPYRIGHTED.

Unless you invoke fair use or teachable moment, it is illegal for
you to send this email message to anyone else!

I don't think that is what the Congress had in mind when they drafted
the 1976 legislation but it can have a chilling afffect on the
dissemination of information on the internet.

|           W. Curtiss Priest, Ph.D., Director       *********************** |
|      Center for Information, Technology, & Society *  Improving humanity * |
|                                                    *  through technology * |
|                  466 Pleasant Street               *********************** |
|                Melrose, MA  02176-4522         BMSLIB@MITVMA.MIT.EDU       |
|                  Voice: 617-662-4044     Gopher to our publications:       |
|   Fax: 617-662-6882      GOPHER.EFF.ORG (under similar organizations)      |

LM_NET Archive Home