I am halfway through Walk Two Moons and like it ok, not Newbery level liking.
It reminds me of Maniac Magee in its easy conversational style.  I look forward
to the dynamite ending.  Yes, I did buy it when it won the Newbery.  I had never
even heard of it before and was surprised to see it win.  I think it will be a
book a few children like but certainly not going to be wildly popular..  I am in
a K-5 school library and also bought the Honor book Catherine called Birdy.  I
have some doubts about THAT in my K-5 library.  What do others think?  I
personally liked the book, admired the middle ages atmosphere and information
but wonder about some of the language and content.  Id be interested in hearing
comments about that book.  The other honor book I decided not to buy, not K-5
level.

It seems to me the lack of discussion about the Newbery Medal books tells us
something about the books that were chosen.

Janet Rawdon
Newton MA
rawdonj@a1.mec.mass.edu

LM_NET Archive Home