I ask my students (an urban high school with 2200 students) to use either
a one foot voice, to speak so that no one but the person they are
jtalking to hears them, or to talk as if they were talking about me (and
that they actually cared about my feelings). It keeps the noise leve
manageble most of the time.
Sharon Hamer
hamer@meol.mass.edu
Cambridge Rindge and Latin School
459 Broadway
Cambridge, MA 02138
(617-349-6781)
On Sun, 19 Feb 1995, Judith Cravens Estabrook wrote:

> I can relate to your problem and would like to share my own anecdote.  I
> am in an elementary school and, although my own school days were
> characterized by librarians like your co-worker, I have adapted to the
> "productive noise" in the library and do not expect absolute silence.  It
> is my teachers who scream "THIS IS A LIBRARY AND YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE
> QUIET" while I bite my tongue and cringe.  Oh, well.  :-)
>
> Judy Cravens Estabrook
> Dallas, TX      judithe@tenet.edu

LM_NET Archive Home