in the school library, I will share what the librarian's in our
middle/upper school library have decided to go with this year.  The
majority of the library is for quiet study.  Whispering is allowed and
sometimes the conversation level goes a bit above this.  As a
consideration to those students who really want absolute silence, we have
designated a portion of the library (an old a.v. listening room) for
silent study only.  So far, so good.  Of course, we are lucky to have
this extra space and there has not been a problem with too many kids
wanting to use it at one time.  It is really hard to try to accommodate
the individual needs of so many diverse kidos.  We keeps our minds open,
ask them what they want and do our best to make it work...

Barbara L. Kinkead, Lower School Librarian, St. Mark's School of Texas
                 10600 Preston Road, Dallas, TX 75230
             kinkead@tenet.edu      214-363-6491 ext. 218

LM_NET Archive Home