It seems a clarification is in order.  First, I was not commenting on the
above mentioned videos --- that is another topic.  The question I was
commenting on is below, "if they are free...why not???  I believe that
we must hold "free" materials to the same stringent standards to which
we hold those we purchase.  Also, on the question of "bias."  Yes, we
must present materials on both sides of any issue, but propagandists
(IN GENERAL) do not often "label" their materials as such.    I believe it
is still our responsibility to make sure that our students evaluate
information --- whatever the source.  In the case of very young children,
do we not have an added responsibility to those students and their parents?

Julie A. Walker                         District Media Center
Director, Library & Media Services      13401 Pond Springs Rd.
Round Rock ISD                          Austin, TX  78729
jawalker@tenet.edu                      512-331-6697/512-331-1811 (FAX)

On Sun, 19 Feb 1995, Julie Walker wrote:

> > send them and pointed out the closed captioning...so i said sure, if the
> > are free...why not???
> >
> I can think of several reasons why we should not accept "free" material ---
>
> If it contains bias, we teach our children prejudice.
>
> If it contains errors, we expose our children to inaccuarte information.
>
> If the production is inferior, we legitimize poor quality.
>
> I'm out of time, but if anyone else would like to add.

LM_NET Archive Home