Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 07:52:15 -0800 (PST)
From: Susan Weiss <sweiss@cks>
To: Union-Endicott Central School District <libser1@TRANSIT.NYSER.NET>
Cc: Multiple recipients of list LM_NET <LM_NET@SUVM.SYR.EDU>
Subject: Re: No more SHHHHH

Oh, I can see a real hornet's nest!

One's noise level policy depends on how many people use the facility
under varying conditions.

We can have two full classes and SOME (15 maybe) dropins in our
facility.  If there are no classes in the library, then it has become a
place for quiet study.  By this I mean talking is fine unless it disturbs
other students.  When I can hear students talking loudly about their
opinion about a certain teacher or what they did on a date Saturday night
from 50 feet away, that threshold has been passed.

If there are classes in the library the noise threshold is higher and
that's fine with me.  Productive work is sometimes loud.  IF, however, I
am teaching a class while another class is in there, I expect the other
class to keep it down until the directions are over.

Students should be taught to adjust to the circumstances and be
thoughtful of others.

Sue Weiss
Librarian
Ballard HS