In the recent discussions about having elementary students work circulation
systems in automated libraries, I have been wondering about possible
conflicts with patron confidentiality.  In the Winnebago system, which I am
most familiar with, access to circulation functions also provides access to
an individual's circulation history and address/phone number information.
Is this a problem?  Would confidentiality also be an issue with adult
volunteers?  Is patron confidentiality violated when lost/damaged book
notices (specifying titles) are sent home to parents?  I have been cautioned
about these confidentiality issues by Winnebago people and in library
science courses.  Does anyone know the legalities here?  I've asked the
legal counsel for my district, and he doesn't know.

* amangels@quiknet.com (Anne Mangels) *
* Library Media Coordinator           *
* Rocklin Unified School District     *
* 2751 Breen Drive,                   *