Carol:
        The only suggestion I'd make to you is to add to your list.  School
librarians will not be successful as change agents until they first change
the perceptions held of them by teachers and administrators.  This means
that they need to actively educate themselves to the nature of organizational
politics, the building of power bases, and the exercise of coalitions.  These
are things that should be taught in pre-service work in universities, but
are largely neglected -- so librarians must learn them themselves.  I'd
suggest that you add topics like organizational politics, building
alliances, and shaping perceptions to your list of topics.  They are the
topics that will enable librarians to gain the support and resources they
need to be able to operationalize the really worthwhile things you have
listed in your message.

Gary Hartzell
Dept. of Educ. Administration
University of Nebraska, Omaha

On Wed, 22 Feb 1995, Carol Harma wrote:

> I am new on lm_net so fear I may have missed discussion of interesting
> (ie weighty) issues.  I am interested in issues of school reform and
> librarians as change agents.  Change is not just technology.  I think
> it's time to highlight our teacher role.  If you are interested in talk
> about integrated curriculum, collaboration with teachers, Reader's
> Workshop, Literature based teaching, Project approach, Resource-based
> learning, etc. please contact me directly.
> Carol Harma
> Guy Lee Elem.
> Springfield, OR
> charma@efn.org