I have been quiet on this one for a while (sorry for the pun), but I must
respond.  It is important for students to feel comfortable in the library
- both the ones who want quiet and the ones who want to chat.  When I
took this job several years ago I said up front that I will not maintain
a silent library.  We have the library defined as a "safe haven" in our
school goals and kids can come here for many reasons.  I welcome anyone
in the room as long as they respect the rights of others.  Some HS
libraries in our area have this sign posted "If you have nothing to do,
don't do it here."  That runs totally against my philosophy.
    I hope that this has not been too wordy.

Frederick Muller,      Halsted Middle School Library
Librarian              59 Halsted Street               voice (201) 383-7554
fmuller@planet.net     Newton, NJ  07860                 FAX (201) 383-7432

LM_NET Archive Home