Thanks to all who replied to my request about Netscape and Mosaic. I hope
that you received thank you notes but I know some bounced. I was asked
for a hit and I hope you don't mind my compiled version of your comments,etc.

Netscape is an expanded commercial oriented version of Mosaic, designed
by the same person who did Mosaic. You can operate both Mosaic and
Netscape simultaneously and tile them to your screen.

Some of the advantages/improvements are:
Increased speed - you can turn off the images.
Screens are scrollable before the total page is downloaded.
Downloads text first and graphics second.
It runs under Windows and provides an interface with Internet
functions such as ftp, telnet and WWW.
It keeps "track" of places
at a web site you've explored and allows you to jump to another
Web page at any time, even while receiving a screen. It allows for
printing directly, saving to disk or saving to the notepad of Windows.
It has built in graphics viewers for GIF and JPG format images.
It has built in Newsreader for reading and responding to Usenet Newsgroups
Very easy to configure
While reading an article in a newsgroup you can click on HTML addresses
in the text of the article and jump to the Web page.
It has more linking ability and could be used as a catalogue for a store
if programmed properly.
It has the ability to transmit secure financial data like credit cards.
It is very reliable ("the only program that my online student aides will
use")
The complexity and attendant training problems of using the Net disappear.

Problems:
You do not need a password to use it. The Newsgroup button on the main
menu bar may allow students access to inappropriate and /or sexually
explicit material.

Both are downloadable from the Internet by ftp.

The Netscape directories below can be found at the WWW site address:
ftp://ftp.netscape.com/netscape/  (fwd)

or simply go via ftp to:
ftp.netscape.com
Software will be found in the directory: netscape
You can select from Mac, Unix or Windows versions.
>Current directory is /netscape
>Up to higher level directory
>mac
>unix
>windows
If you have a dial up connection you must have aprovider who supports a
ppp or slip connection. PPP is newer and faster than slip and for a Mac
you require MACtcp and config PPP software.

Another suggestion for downloading:
http://www.interaccess.com
Select the plug and play hypertext link and then choose your type of
computer.

Both Netscape and Mosaic are being constantly upgraded and improved.

I hope this helps you all.
Jenny

Jenny Krassnig  <ed848505@student.uq.edu.au>
Anglican Church Grammar School (Yrs 5-12 boys)
Oaklands Pde
East Brisbane Qld 4169
Australia
Ph: (07)8962242   Fax: (07)8915976