After reading nearly one hundred responses to my encounter with "Mrs.
Oncologist," I find myself anything but "calmed down."  This situation is
far worse than I imagined.  EVERYONE out there has a similar, if not far
more serious, tale of woe.   I know all the rewards so well, but the
sentiment out there is: we don't get no respect.  What many of you tell
me is that much of the "dissing" comes from our own colleagues--classroom
teachers--who are jealous of all the free time we have to read!
Apparently high school librarians get a bit more respect than elementary
librarians.  We may be also looked down upon by academic and public
librarians.  Some of us have been gently snubbed by our own
families--especially when competition flares among siblings.  Male
librarians report being questioned about their sexual preference as a
result of their career choice.    Recent negative stereotypes in magazine
articles have reinforced the growing anger.  Some suggested there are
many within our own ranks who contribute to our negative image--though I
am sure none of those librarians participate in this listserv.

Proposed solutions included posting credentials, informing folks of the
educational requirements, agreeing and saying "Yes, this is the best job
in the world,"and asking people just how many lives they touch in a day.
A couple of people suggested that their appearance alone helps to bust
stereotypes. (I look pretty good too, but I don't think working out is a
necessary requirement for the field.)  When told, "You don't look like a
librarian," I generally paraphrase Steinem and say, "This is what a
librarian looks like!"

Many people reported that since they have begun to work with technology,
the respect level has increased.  I agree; that has happened to me
too--but what does that imply for how we were viewed B.T.?

Parent volunteers are often our strongest allies and P.R. improvers.
Those who spend whole days with us are often amazed at our talents, our
energy  and our flexibility.

I have been commended for the strong expression of my feelings by many.
I have also been assured that it doesn't really matter what the ignorant
think of us.  (Funny, my kids are so proud to say, "My mom is a
librarian!")  I am now convinced by reading these letters that it is
important for many of us to form a loose version of "Act Up."  To spread
the word about who we are and what we do.

I am planning an article for Book Report concerning the "image thing" and
would appreciate any further input--both personal anecdotes about
"respect" and how to handle the problem--along with your permission to quote.

This interaction has been personally exciting for me.  The level of
support here is overwhelming.  (I even ran into two people from my old
neighborhood.)  Thank you, friends!

Joyce Valenza
<jvalenza@mciunix>
Wissahickon High School Library