Private schools that are accredited must meet the standards of their
accrediting organization. In the past teachers were required to have a
degree but not necessarily certification for North Central accreditation.
Now they require certification. Their standards for LMCs allow one
certified LMS to work in several schools (I think it is 1/5 time in a
school.) Those of us who are in the position know that the job can't
really be done with 1/5 of a professional and 1 FT aide, unless the aide
also has the background and skills of a professions.

Yes, certification doesn't guarantee quality, and quality can be found
without the paper credentials. However I agree with a previous posting
that pointed out that if you are doing the work of a professional but
being paid and treated as a non-professional, you are underselling
yourself and the profession. When you leave, the administration has
implicit permission to hire someone who is not qualified for the job
because on paper you both look the same.

Sister Penny Cunningham  pscunnin@mailbox.syr.edu
St. Mary-Basha Catholic School
Chandler, Arizona

A National Blue Ribbon School
Celebrating 50 Years of Excellence

On Tue, 28 Feb 1995, Betty Dawn Hamilton wrote:

> Your statement brings to light another question that I'm curious about.
> Do private schools require *teachers* to be certified?

LM_NET Archive Home