I was pleased to find this positive "pronouncement" at year's end, after
much discussion of our perceived worth--  A very happy new year to all!

Joanna Fountain, Georgetown, TX

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: rgtds@unixg.ubc.ca (David Stewart)
Newsgroups: list.libref-l
Subject: Re: Image of Librarian.
Date: 27 Dec 1994 20:56:41 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list LIBREF-L <LIBREF-L@KENTVM.KENT.EDU>

I do not count the image-problems of librarians among my greatest
concerns, personally.  But in reading the latest novel, "The Cunning Man"
, by Robertson Davies, I came across an intriguing quotation, which might
help remind us of the purposefulness and value of what we are about.

To set it up:  some bigwig or other has died suddenly, and the family is
considering what worthy scientific cause should receive funds from his
estate.  His widow is cool to the suggestion of medical research, since
its appetite for money seems endless.   Instead, she proposes that the
money go to a library:  "a library goes on as far as thought can reach."

All the best of the Season:

David Stewart
Regent College
Vancouver