On Sun, 1 Jan 1995, Roselle_Weiner wrote:

> I'm with you!  Unfortunately, in some organizations, you are paid by your
> title and if your title doesn't 'reflect' your position (i.e.: a
> librarian is an old woman with her hair tied in a bun. . .) you get the
> lower pay.

You know, Roselle, you may be right!  I really have not considered that
aspect, but if decision makers are looking at market demand, "librarian"
is usually one of the professions that historically is paid lower than
others.  That is changing somewhat, but "librarian" may never catch up
with "information systems manager" or some such title.  If decision
makers are considering salary raises, if they look at a national average
for "librarian" we certainly will get less money than someone who has a
title that reflects the new technologies.

I also saw a breakdown of salary, stress, job availability (I have
forgotten all of the categories that were compared) of different
professional positions.  To my surprise, "librarian" had a stress level
of virtually "0" -- NONE!  That survey was some time ago (like YEARS ago)
and I think it was in _Working Woman_.  After being inundated with
letters, though, I think they changed the salary range.....I haven't seen
a rewrite of stress, etc.

Your idea is something to be considered, Roselle.

Betty
                                .----.
Betty Hamilton, LRS             |    |                701 Cub Drive
bhamilt@tenet.edu           ____|*    ~~~~~~.         Brownfield TX 79316
Brownfield High School      \               |         (806) 637-4523

LM_NET Archive Home