talking) and then the teacher defines the task for the class and the
class comes up with questions to be answered to complete the task.) I
briefly discuss Big Six 2 & 3, and then use a library book (or two) which
I have brought with me. I read the book and we talk about what
information will satisfy the questions. The teacher acts as recorder on
a piece of chart paper. When we have found answers to questions, the
students go back to their tables to complete the "assignment," while the
teacher and I go around assisting or scribing for the students. (Big Six
#5--I explain what it is before they go to their seats and the teacher
gives details about what they are supposed to do.) For Big Six #6, they
exchange work and "check" each other's work for completeness. Easy, and fun!
Short lessons like this will familiarize the students with the notion of
using a process when they need information for a task, as well as
familiarize them with the terms and specific steps of the process. If
they use it in a controlled situation for a few years, hopefully,
the knowledge will internalize when they are developmentally ready to use
it independently.
* Barbara A. Jansen          Live Oak Elementary     *
* Librarian                  8607 Anderson Mill Road *
* Round Rock I.S.D.          Austin, TX  78729-4706  *
* bjansen@tenet.edu          512/331-0996            *