I have struggled with my vertical file for years!  When I first came to my
school, I spent months weeding yellowed out-of-date newspaper
clippings.
Several years later, I weeded out many of the subject categories.  Now,
any energy I devote to it is in adding local history and interest
materials that are not available in other formats or electronically.  I
think the general categories we used to use (all the "hot" research
topics) are better served by other sources.  My main reason for cutting
back though is that I feel the VF is far too time-consuming for the
results we get.  Our VF drawers are on the main library floor, so there
is no security.  After all the energy it takes to fill those folders, the
whole thing can disappear in an instant. We don't have the staffing to
keep the files at the desk and fetch them for students.  And the
circulation process is also cumbersome.
If anyone had a perfect solution, I might reconsider!  Debbie

LM_NET Archive Home