Connie - "Large Numbers" is on p. 564 of the 1995 World Almanac (I would
have looked for the info on my MS Bookshelf CD but I didn't boot the CD
during this session -- had to (NO!) use a BOOK! <BG>) and they list both
US and French/German/British names for large numbers, as follows:

US: million, billion, trillion, quadrillion, quitillion, etc. (using
Latin prefixes up to decillion)
Other: million, milliard (US billion), billion (US trillion), 1,000
billion (US quadrillion) etc. The math and science departments would
probably rather that all of us use the metric prefixes:
kilo = 1000x, mega = million times, giga- = trillion times, etc. (see the
major chapter "Weights and Measures"; Prefixes -- p. 557 in the '95 Almanac)

Good luck.

Joyce Conklin                      email: jconkli@ed.co.sanmateo.ca.us
Hillsdale High School                      72407.1422@compuserve.com
3115 Del Monte St.
San Mateo CA  94403-3819
(415) 574-7230 x.227 [0745-1500 hrs. Pacific time]

On Sun, 8 Jan 1995, Global SchoolNet Fdn (FrEdMail) wrote:

> Greetings!  Good luck with your Almanac questions.   Here is one that a
> student in my school wrangled with:  He wanted to know the name of
> numbers after a billion.... you have a thousand, a million, a billion, a
> trillion...then what?  How high do numbers go?  Good luck!
> Connie Williams, Librarian. Kenilworth Junior High
> 998 E. Washington St.  Petaluma,CA 94952  707-778-4710
> cowilli@eis.calstate.edu       fax: 707-778-7276

LM_NET Archive Home