>Connie - "Large Numbers" is on p. 564 of the 1995 World Almanac (I would
>have looked for the info on my MS Bookshelf CD but I didn't boot the CD
>during this session -- had to (NO!) use a BOOK! <BG>) and they list both
>US and French/German/British names for large numbers, as follows:
>
>US: million, billion, trillion, quadrillion, quitillion, etc. (using
>Latin prefixes up to decillion)
>Other: million, milliard (US billion), billion (US trillion), 1,000
>billion (US quadrillion) etc. The math and science departments would
>probably rather that all of us use the metric prefixes:
>kilo = 1000x, mega = million times, giga- = trillion times, etc. (see the
>major chapter "Weights and Measures"; Prefixes -- p. 557 in the '95 Almanac)

And there are also two more huge numbers: a googol (10^100) and a
googolplex (10^googol). The name was apparently thought up by a child of
the researcher who needed these big numbers.

--
Steven Weller  <Windsor Consulting Group>         +1 502 454 0054 (voice)
                                                  +1 502 451 5935 (fax)

LM_NET Archive Home