Date: Tue, 10 Jan 95 08:35:52 -0800
>From:tdowling@lib.washington.edu
To: pacs-l@UHUPVM1.UH.EDU, PUBLIB-NET@NYSERNET.ORG, PUBYAC@LIS.PITT.EDU,
    LIBREF-L@KENTVM.KENT.EDU, GOVDOC-L@PSUVM.PSU.EDU,
    ULCJH@UBVM.CC.BUFFALO.EDU, web4lib@library.berkeley.edu
Subject: ALA Midwinter Internet Room - Call for Volunteers

VOLUNTEER NOW FOR THE INTERNET ROOM!
    ALL TIME SLOTS MUST GO--COSTS TOO LOW TO BE ADVERTISED!
        HOW DO WE DO IT?  VOLUME!!!
            THIS ANNOUNCEMENT IS BEING POSTED TO SO MANY LISTS,
                YOU'LL THINK WE'VE GONE CRAZY!!! (Sorry for the
                    duplication.)

Yes, indeed, the time has come to make your plans for ALA Midwinter in
Philadelphia, and the Internet Room is looking for volunteers.  The
Internet Room has become a fixture at ALA meetings, allowing people to
explore the network, connect back home to read e-mail, and brush up on
all the cool network resources they've heard about.

Volunteers do not have to be Internet wizards.  We need people who
enjoy using Internet tools like telnet, ftp, gopher, and the World-Wide
Web; people who occasionally help others with these tools; and people
who can say "I don't know--let me find out" (hey, these days nobody
knows it all, and there will always be two volunteers scheduled, and
Internet Room Steering Committee members often hang out there as
well).  Most important, we need people who can give us a two-hour chunk
of their time at the conference.  Plus, of course, you'll need to be at
the ALA Midwinter meeting, or at least somewhere near Philadelphia.

Hours of coverage are:

         Sat, Feb 4: 9-5
         Sun, Feb 5: 9-5
         Mon, Feb 6: 9-3

A 60-90 minute, highly recommended volunteer training session will be
scheduled Friday evening, to cover the particular details of the room
(this is not a general Internet training session).  If needed, there
may be an alternate training session early Saturday morning.

If you would like to volunteer, send me a note at
tdowling@u.washington.edu.  Please indicate the time slot or time slots
you would like to cover, along with any backup time slots in case your
first choices are already filled, and please indicate whether you will
be available Friday evening for the training session.

Thomas Dowling
Networked Information Librarian, Public Services
University of Washington Libraries
tdowling@u.washington.edu

LM_NET Archive Home