Thanks to those people who responded with January 31.  None of my calenders
listed it.  I just checked in a magazine today called Faces and it was on calend
 ers.  December 1994 isssue.
To quote parts:  Have you ever wondered why the Chinese New Year comes at
a different time every year?  1993--Jan 23, 1994--Feb. 10 and 1995--Jan 31.
The explanation is simple.  The Chinese use two calendes.  One is a solar
calender and the other which determines many festivals is
based on a different system--it is geared to the movements of the moon.  Every
Chinese seasonal festival is connected with some phase of the moon, often
the full moon.  It goes into great detail about the animals for each year but
never really states if it starts on the full moon or not.
Because of the limitations of this mail system I will have to post
all the answers I received in another posting.  Sandy Haggstrom

LM_NET Archive Home